How big will my Maltese puppy grow to be? What size will my Maltese be when he is an adult dog? How fast do Maltese puppies grow? These are the questions that so many new owners have !
The final adult weight will depend on:
Just like baby to human...it is not possible to know the exact adult weight and size of a Maltese puppy, however it is possible to make an educated estimate. This is done by using a Maltese weight chart.
- The size of the parents
- The size of the grandparents - great breeders have an excellent understanding of bloodlines. This allows a breeder to produce litters of desired size, knowing the bloodlines in the parents of prospective pups
- Activity, proper nutrition and more
While there will always be exceptions, this chart is usually accurate within 1/2 pound.
How to Use This Maltese Growth Chart
1. All numbers are in ounces. Only the Final Adult Weight is in pounds. There are 16 ounces in a pound.
2. If you know your puppy's weight in pounds, converting to ounces is very easy. Here are some examples:
Example 1: If the puppy is
2.3 pounds the formula is: 2 x 16 + 2 = 34 ounces
Example 2: If the puppy is 1.7 pounds, the formula is: 1 x 16 + 7 = 23 ounces.
3. Find the puppy's age on the far left column.
4. Move your finger across the row, moving to the right until you stop on the current weight of the puppy.
5. Move down the column to the bottom, until you stop on the Final Adult Weight.
Remember, this is an estimate only, the final adult weight and size of your Maltese puppy will depend on its bloodline, activity level, proper nutrition and more.